Before we begin, let me just link you to my excitement of the day. I literally almost cried. I was so proud of myself. That was a big EF you to all my body and health struggles this year.
Anywho, onto the main topic..
Wow number 30 friends! I hope you enjoy this random survey I decided to do for todays topic.
5 Fitness Myths That are not the obvious…lifting makes you bulky…
- You don’t need to pile on massive amounts of weight to put on muscle mass. This is really not beneficial as that makes your cut harder/longer and probably your muscle losses greater.
- Not all squats look the same. Don’t look at someones squat and tell them they are doing it wrong if they are more forward than you are. Bodies are different and that means that lifts are going to look different.
- More is not better. Doing squats on a boss ball to hit your legs and your core and your balance, etc, etc is not better. You are not able to give your all to any one of those components and probably not really doing much as a result.
- Heavier is not always better. Yes, lifting heavy is great and progressing forward is part of getting stronger, but if you start doing half the lift as a result of upping the weight than you are not benefiting optimally from it. Form than weight ALWAYS
- Not everyone is made for the stage. Just because you’re into fitness doesn’t mean you have to compete. Competing is a special thing that not everyone is good for. Dieting, genetics, dealing with body image issues and having a goal at the end for yourself not for a win are all parts that torture people during prep. Really think about it before you go into it.
5 Body Parts We Tend Forget About But Shouldn’t…
- Rear Delts –> Required for a fully defined and balanced shoulder.
- Core –> Not really forgotten, more like purposely ignored because most hate core work. This will help you with all your compounds friends because all lifts start with a strong core.
- Glutes –> Guys this is looking at you because you know that girls don’t have an issue with this part. Strong glutes help with a ton of lower body movements. Do them.
- Chest –> Turning those looks back on you ladies. Benching is so empowering and if you train one body part, don’t neglect others. You won’t loose your boobs from benching (that is overall fat loss) and you won’t randomly sprout pecs…
- Heart/Lungs –> Yes, these are muscles you aren’t supposed to forget about. Again, females tend to overdo this, but many guys go into bulk season and completely stop any form of cardio. It’s not just about aesthetics friends.
5 Workout Gift Ideas
- Hip Circle–> do it for them glutes!
- Bands –> also great for glute activation and low impact stimulation. You can use bands and recover quickly and not really interfere with weight training while they still activate and get some blood flowing into the glutes.
- Foam Roller –> They may hate you while they are rollin, but they will come around when they see the benefits of adding daily rolling into their routine.
- Massage Gift Certificate–> What I would give for a massage…
- For the Guys–> A solid pair of straps. This could totally be a for a girl as well, but was trying to come up with something appealing for a guy..
5 Cool Fitness Circuits
5 Favourite New Exercises
- Rack Pulls. Back day has never been so exciting. These are so satisfying and a core killer as well.
- Squats. It’s a love-hate thing. I’m so driven to get my numbers up that I really want to squat, but do I truly love squatting when I’m doing it…
- Sumo Deadlifts. I have mentioned before that deadlifts are one of my weakest lifts. Damn hammies. I began to do sumos a few months back for my glutes but than stopped for a bit to switch over traditional as I thought that felt more comfortable (sumos were hurting my knees). BUT I came back because I’m stubborn and hate to say I don’t do something. Tweaked my foot position (I can’t have my feet pointed on an angle, they have to be straight) and voila, much better.
- Barbell Hip Thrusters. I was doing these on the leg extension machine for a while because I felt like I got a better feel that way and I was annoyed whenever I had to set it all up. Guys, these are worth the set up and practice if you want to build them glutes and the first time I went back to barbell I got up to 125lbs. #Shocker
- Plank Side-To-Sides. These are just fun. Even my housemates like them.
5 Favourite Foods That Are Stereotypical GymRat
- Rice Cakes. These are my love. Recently, all main-chain grocery stores in Guelph were not receiving ANY of my rice cakes and I didn’t know what I was gunna do. Dramatic eh? But because of my dietary restrictions right now, these are a major carb staple for me. I eat pretty much half a bag every day… #GimmeAllTheCarbs
- Peanut Butter. Duh! Natural obviously and #TeamCrunchy
- Cream of Rice. This used to be oats, but after my parasite treatment my oats tried to kill me (too much fiber for my poor tummy) so COR it was. I missed the texture of oats at first, but now I really like it.
- Whey. Diesel all the way. Lactose and all things chemical and sugar free. Plus amazing flavours! Favourite flavour is the peanut butter chocolate OR the salted caramel
- Egg Whites. We all love our fat free egg whites. So versatile and you can than add whatever you want to them. Sorry I just can’t get on the sweet egg train. Yuck.
5 Favourite Fitness Juuu-Tubers
These are always changing, with some exceptions, but here’s my list of top tuber’s
- Amanda Bucci –> Just entertaining to watch. She offers lots of advice, is straight up about everything and is consistent with her quality and material.
- Taylor Chamberlain–> Lots of tips and tricks and I love her positive and happy personality.
- Emily Duncan–> Love her perspectives and thoughts on life. She gives great fitness tips and her videos offer great variety.
- Valentina Esteban–> Cannucks say Hhhheeey. I love her perspective on just about everything. Think positive, follow your dreams and work towards your goals even if they are hard at times. Stay objective.
- Jeff Nippard –> hello science backed training advice and his video quality is amazing! It’s interesting how he’s serious but so entertaining at the same time.
I hope you enjoyed these 5 fitness lists. What is a fitness related 5 list for you? 5 songs? 5 Foods?
Christmas Eve is tomorrow.. are you ready?