This is something I have been meaning to post about for a while as many of you have asked about what to do if you have no access to a gym. Although having access to equipment in the gym is the ideal situation, there is nothing wrong with working out at home if that is what you have available to you.
In anycase, you’re doing better then the next person who just doesn’t do anything exercise related because they can’t get to a gym right?
Good on you for getting creative and getting your sweat on at home.
In a typical Lil Miss Fitness Freak fashion, I will show some blog love to give you some examples of great blogs that have shared some at home workouts that will get you glistening.
Here are some tips.
- Find your own resistance. Find something with some weight for when bodyweight becomes too easy for you. Just because you’re at home doesn’t mean there is no such thing as pushing that lil bit further. Cans, bags of flour, purses, backpacks, etc, etc. You can adjust the resistance based on your progress but remember, just like at the gym, if you can do something 4 thousand times its time to rev it up.
- Climb to new heights. This kind of goes along with the previous suggestion, but find things that give your a variety of heights to work with. Things like couches, tables, stable chairs and stools and such can either help you build up to an exercise your muscles aren’t ready for yet or make things harder. Push-ups serve as a great example for both. Place your hands on a table to make it easier as the lower incline takes some of the resistance off, while switch it up and put your feet on it to make those push-ups harder. Just make sure your form doesn’t break down.
- Have some breathing room. Make sure you give yourself some room to work!
- Plan it out ahead of time. Just like if you were to walk into a gym, know what workout you’re going to do, whether you’re making up your own or following a guide. This way you will be as efficient as possible and not have to stop constantly to think about what to do next or to readjust everything because you didn’t plan a good flow of exercises.
- Take it outside. Think you’re stuck inside your house? Not a chance. When the weather cooperates, go to a park, yes a kiddy park and do some work there. Sprint up hills. Run the nearby trails if you’re lucky enough to have those close by (Hamilton peeps!), find some stairs or bleachers to climb. They are all fun and games. Think outside the
- Buddy system all the way! Have a housemate/roommate, sibling or parent? Get them to join in and you can help to push each other plus it makes it even more fun.
So with that, lets get sharing eh?
Here are some awesome gym-free workouts coming at you. Click on the pictures for the video and/or link ups.
For the outside adventurer…
I love Nikki Blackketter’s YouTube channel. She is always trying random things to keep her exercise fresh and fun. Check out her stadium workout.
Check her out here and see how she switches it up fitness wise.
Ever in a hotel?
This is a great workout in general for when you are low on equipment and wanna have fun with different surface heights. This is even great for when you are confined to a small space. Once again, Heidi has some great tips for workouts both in and out of the gym as she travels a lot for her fitness modeling.
A student for all my fellow students.
Josie is the girl…ie the man, but totally a girl…cheese show. She is actually such a great motivator for healthy lifestyles and balance. Being a busy student herself with a life, school and extra curriculars, she shows you have to live your life while also treating your body with the respect it deserves and keeping that mind healthy.
When you don’t even have a timer but you have 20 minutes.
This HIIT ladder is great for those who only have a short amount of time but want to sweat. Yes it’s cardio, but remember there is a difference between HIIT and straight cardio. HIIT has a host of benefits for cardiovascular endurance and strength building. It even has a timer going for you so you don’t need any equipment at all! Sweat, baby sweat.
Ignore the title. Are you ready to HIIT like a beast?
This title irritates me for obvious reasons, but it is a great HIIT workout that appears to be great for athletes as it offers a lot of movements that could be beneficial for functionality.
No Nonsense Circuit.
From one of my favourite bloggers, Julie has a ton of great at home workouts here including the one posted below.
She is super sweet and positive and her blog is just a great read in general. She’s expecting a lil boy soon too.
Wanna Be a Mermaid?
The Tone It Up girls have got it going on. This Mermaid routine is one of their newest videos to post for the summer and they have created quite an amazing site for both fitness and nutrition. They have tons of videos for isolation fitness routines and full body. They even have holiday versions, vacation workouts and much, much more.
Last but not least…
Another social media icon is Cassey from Blogilates.
I’m sure you have heard of her, but have you really checked out her page? She features tons of workouts, nutrition posts featuring fun recipes and health tips and lifestyle vlogs and posts that are geared towards self love and balance.
Here’s a single example, but make sure to parooze around her site to benefit from what she has to offer.
Happy weekend friends! ❤