Happy Happy Wednesday
Instead of ranting on about how I hate our weather right now (I mean more rain…seriously?!), I will give you 3 positive things that have happened recently or are going to happen this week.
- I’m currently 4 days away from a shopping trip with the parents at the Eaton Centre. Weeooo! Can’t wait until Saturday. I haven’t been shoppin in forever and I’m sure Lululemon has some nice lookin finds for me to snatch up. #WorkThatPTDiscount. 😉 I’m also looking to find another pair of vibrams as nowhere in Hamilton carries ones that fit my tiny size 5 feetsies. I’m likin these ones…
- I taught my first WOW, or Women On Weights, class at the Pulse! This is a class at our gym (McMaster University) that is run by personal trainers and is meant to help females become more knowledgeable about resistance training, stretching and the body in general while also providing information about proper nutrition, debunking fitness and nutrition myths and prep them to be able to lift on their own confidently and safely. I’m super excited to have the opportunity to teach the class as I have been asked twice already to run it by my director but have had to decline as it didn’t fit in my work schedule. I’m so looking forward to instilling some passion into my lil group of ladies and our class is totally open for more students so don’t be shy!
- Going to the Eaton Centre means gettin my FAVOURITE salad creation at Fast and Fresh. Can’t wait!
So with today being Wednesday and all…
…It’s time for some #NomPorn courtesy of the weekly food blogger roundup party hosted by Jen over at Peas and Crayons.
This week I wanted to show you a few NEW things that have appeared on my plate and one scandal worthy breakfast that lacked a certain favourite staple of mine. LE GASP!
Let’s start with said shocker yes?1 egg, 3 egg white omelet stuffed with mushrooms, spinach, onions and garlic and seasoned with chili flakes and Mrs. Dash chipotle spice and topped with a lil dollop of my basil pesto. Side of [over roasted] sad looking asparagus and that stoke purple sweet tater! Tater was roasted in foil then topped with 1/2 a tbsp each of Nuts n’More chocolate and toffee peanut butters.
I give you my breakfast on our holiday Monday (Victoria Day). No oats in sight. You just fell off your chair didn’t you?
You see, I have wanted to try a more savory breakfast for a because 1. I wanted to see how I liked it and how my tummy felt after it 2. because other bloggers like Morganne over at Nut Butter Runner and Leah Peter’s make them look delicious and 3. because I really wanted to eat another ‘sweet’ sweet tater.
It’s hard for me to move away from my oats because they are not only delicious, but it’s also what I’m used to and comfortable with. This meal, despite still being healthy (I still have a tough time saying that because of the tater) was actually quite the challenge for me for a few reasons:
- Because of the holiday and because I had worked out for 4 days in a row (again, because of the holiday and my gym being closed on Monday), I forced myself to stay in bed until 8:30am rather than get up, eat and go back for a nap. I figured the continuous, uninterrupted sleep would be better but I learned that my anxiety about not eating until later just leaves me tossing and turning after around 7am. Naps>Sleeping In.
- Because of said sleep in, I had a bigger meal than normal. It sat in my tummy okay, but again, out of the norm meant a slight anxiety feeling for me.
- The sweet tater. Still trying to get over this one. Not only did I have the nut butter tater, but I had a sweet potato on my rest day. A big challenge for the sugar phobe over here. But I did it.
Overall, I did enjoy this meal and tried not to let guilt come over me. I felt fine afterwards and I got to enjoy this breakfast with the man, which is something we have never done because I wake up so early. Oh, and that sweet potato was bomb so there!
Continuing on with that day of wonky, off the usual clock eats, I give you my lunch..Leftover baked halibut fillet with pesto and topped with avocado over a bed of sauteed swiss chard and kale (an amazing new bagged blend I scored at the grocery store!) with onions, garlic, chili and turmeric. Fresh side salad dressed with lemon juice and a lil ACV and a random chicken pesto macaroni salad I threw together.
I had no idea what I wanted for lunch but I knew that I needed some grains in me as a day of all vegetable based carbs can wreak havoc on this gut. So my red jasmine rice pasta it was. But what would I do with it?
Here’s the basic recipe for mine: I didn’t include amounts of each, just do what works for you!
In a pan, saute some onions (roughly chopped, you want them chunky) and garlic in a lil coconut oil over medium heat. Once those are cooked a bit (browned and fragrant), toss in..
- Chopped zucchini
- Chopped asparagus
- Chopped sweet peppers
- Leftover cooked chicken breast meat chunks
Saute all of that in some chili flakes and cracked black pepper for a few minutes then dump (to soften the veggies a bit) in some pesto and give that a toss. You may need a lil liquid at this point if it starts to stick to the pan. I used some apple cidar vinegar. Lastly, tossed in your SLIGHTLY UNDERDONE brown rice pasta (or normal pasta if not gluten free) and give it a quick toss. Plate’er up and top with avocado.
I had mine hot, but I wouldn’t mine trying it cold as I used to love my mom’s Italian cold bowtie pasta salad!
What other different meals did I ingest this week…?
…that sounds kinda gross but roll with it.
Tuesday night’s #BowlOfStuff after teaching my WOW class.Quinoa. Kale sauteed with mushrooms, onion, garlic, chili, pepper and Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning. Some snap peas that needed using up. Baked leftover trout (both steelhead and lake varieties) with my pesto.
Fresh yellowfin tuna that I had been hoarding in my freezer since my last Whole Foods trip. Yes, I failed at making it look all pretty but that that is actually cooked through is very hard to slice nicely. I don’t do raw fish. I seared it up and baked it to cook it through than tossed it on top of my [now] usual post workout lunch pasta and veggie bowl.Seared yellowfin tuna steak. Explore Asian organic red jasmine rice macaroni cooked with red peppers, asparagus, mushrooms, onion, garlic, chili, basil pesto, spinach and 1 tbsp of tomato paste with some water to make a simple sauce. Topped with nooch.
My one post workout #SaladBeast of the week. I have determined that my tummy can only handle so many of these (gas and bloat attack much!) so I stick to picking my day to battle. This week it was Saturday. I just love them so much…:-(Dole very veggie blend+ spinach base. Raw red pepper+Roasted mushrooms/onion/asparagus/butternut squash. Basil pesto + my normal dressing. Broccoli sprouts. Cooked shrimp in pesto.
Simple but so good. I had to work the later shift than normal at GoodnessMe! (1-cl rather than 10-4) so this was my post workout lunch to eat on cash. Despite there being nothing on that sweet tater (Japanese purple skinned variety), I actually mmmmmed and aaaahhhhed all the way through it.Roasted Japanese sweet potato. Roasted vegetables (mushrooms/asparagus/zucchini and summer squash). Baked pesto chicken breast.
Finally, tonight’s dinner to be eaten at work. I’m actually super excited to eat this later! I mean come on, look at those big and beautiful green tiger shrimp! I spotted some kabobs on sale at Fortinoes this week and so I snatched up a shrimp and swordfish one to enjoy throughout the week. Despite not being able to enjoy them grilled (the best!!), this shrimp kabob will be devoured and savored tonight. Good seafood fuel for my sore leggies that I killed a mere hour ago.
Organic brown short grain rice. Shrimp kabob sauteed in a lil coconut oil, garlic, chili and loads of dried basil. The kabob came with tri-coloured sweet peppers and onion and I added mushrooms and zucchini to the mix.
Well that’s all for today’s post peeps. I gotta shower, eat my carbo-licious lunch and
crawl dance my way to work.
Have a great hump day!
What’s your favourite type of seafood?
Do you like sweet potatoes with nut butter?
What’s one thing you are looking forward to this week or weekend?