So to stick to adding more workouts to zee bloggy I’m droppin in for another short post to give you my bi’s and tri’s workout from yesterday. I have to be honest when I say this is probably my least favourite training day, as I’m not a huge fan of isolating biceps and triceps as a workout, but I guess the reasons I stick to it is because …
- One it’s mostly geared towards reaching new PR’s (personal records or bests) for my dips and chins.
- Doing a few isolated bi’s and tri’s work won’t kill me. It’s actually kinda nice to see some definition in a females arms IMO.
- It’s actually quite tiring (as I do 2 not 1 5×5 super heavy sets) and I always end up a wee bit sore the next day.
So, if you’re wondering why a girl would dictate a whole day’s workout to bi’s and tri’s, try my workout on for size. 😀
A few notes:
- For weighted chins (chin-ups-bicep 5×5 set), I do my first set without weights to see where I’m at endurance wise then hold a 10lb DB between my feet for the last 4 sets. For each of those sets I can do about 5 reps with the weight and then I drop it and do 2-3 more reps. Work to failure!
- For weighted dips (5×5 tricep set), I am using two benches like this-> http://www.passion4profession.net/en/triceps-exercises/dips-with-2-benches.html. I have plates stacked up on my lap for all sets (warm-up with one 35lb plate), and then for the monster drop set I’m simply doing a set with all the weight and then continuing to go with less and less weight until I basically collapse. So, I do 130lbs and take 60lbs off, do more reps, take 35lbs off, do more reps..etc until all the weight is off and I can’t move my arms. There is no stopping between these weight changes. It’s all about burning out the muscle completely. Good times!
- For overhead tricep extensions I tend to go for a towel rather than the rope. I find that I can get a better curl at the end with the towel (which means a better tricep contraction!)
- Today was lower/upper abs with my workout and, as always, I warmed those up before my start. Yesterday is was weighted leg raises (+drop sets for each set) + weighted decline situps (+ final set drop set) for 3 total rounds.
There you have it. A workout to kick off your summer gun show! 😉
One other thing I wanted to share from today was my oatmeal (Zoats!) from this morning as I got to try out Cellucor’s new Mint Chocolate Chip flavour! Many thanks to Chaunda and her kind self for giving me a sample of her new buy.
Today was a rest day from the gym, so it was zoats (or zucchini oats- trust me you don’t taste the grated zucchini it just adds some veggies, nutrition and VOLUME to your oatmeal. Try it!!) for breakfast. Now, you will notice that these don’t look like my typical zoats for a few reasons…
- Where are the berries? I tend to use lower glycemic berries on my rest days as I don’t need the extra quick carbs (sugars) from banana when I’m not going to the gym. Banana rarely makes an appearance on rest days. When it does, either I’m really craving it OR I’m going in for an early morning shift, at 8:30am, at work (like today).
- Questbar pieces on a rest day? This never really happens BUT because I didn’t have much fruit, I need extra carbies to make up for the lost macros and I had a small piece (like 1/8th of a bar…yeah it puffs up that much!) of a Cookies and Cream Questbar left that I baked into lil bites to top my mint chocolate chip zoats with. Besides, what fruit goes with mint?
These were sooo yummy and, like I mentioned, because I was heading into work (rather than taking my typical rest-day nap…I died half way through the day so zee nap was a 2 hour afternoon one after worky 😛 ), I did add some nanner to it and it made it plump up EVEN MORE and make it nice and creamy. To get this effect (plus you don’t want banana chunks with mint right?), when adding the banana, you want to use the ‘melted banana trick‘ a la Chocolate Covered Katie and whip it into your oats/zoats.
And because some of you have asked, I will give an updated set of directions on how I make my zoats. I use a microwave when cooking my oats/zoats. You can do stove top if you wish.
***These are rough directions for the process only. I’m not giving my gram by gram amount of oats, etc that I use, just use however much of each ingredient as you like. ***
The night before. (Optional)
In a microwave safe bowl, add the following ingredients together and place in the fridge overnight.
- Oats (I use quick gluten free oats)
- Whey (I used the chocolate mint here and only about 1/4 of a scoop as it’s mostly for flavour)
- Chia Seeds
- Grated Zucchini (about a 1/4 to 1/3 of a medium sized one)
- Liquid of choice (I use a half and half mix of unsweetened almond milk and water in a 2:1 liquid to oats ratio)
The reason I soak my oats (and every grain I eat for that matter) is because this breaks down the outer coating of the oats and makes them more digestible. This means that your body is better able to absorb the nutrients from the oats and is easier on your digestive system.
The next morning.
You will need…
- 2 or a 1/4 cup of Liquid Egg Whites
- small piece of RIPE Banana
- 1/2 tsp of Coconut Oil (optional- getting more healthy fats)
- 1/2 tsp Lucuma Powder (optional superfood addition)
- Toppings of choice. I used 1/8 of a Cookies and Cream, raw cacao nibs and raw cashew butter.
- Add a bit of water (about a tbsp depending on how dry it looks) and stir. Don’t add too much as you didn’t strain your zucchini and during the cooking process it will also release liquid. Nuke for 3-4 minutes depending on your microwave strength. Watch to make sure it doesn’t overflow.
- Take out. Pour in your egg whites and whip like a mad person until they are fully incorporated. Take your banana and, in a separate cup, melt it in the microwave. Whip that into your zoats too. Nuke for another 2 minutes watching it carefully so that it doesn’t overflow.
- Remove again, stir in coconut oil and lucuma (if using) and add your toppings.
- NOM AWAY!
The only thing you have to get used to with zoats is understanding just HOW MUCH liquid that zucchini releases and to add more or less liquid as you are cooking based on how it is looking and how you like the consistency of your zoats to be. I like mine on the drier, creamy side (no spare liquid floatin around) so I use a very tiny amount of added liquid. Trial and error will lead you to finding the right balance.
PLEASE TRY THESE!
I promise you will not taste the..
- Egg Whites. Don’t be scared. They don’t make your oats taste like eggs I swear on my life. All they do is add protein and volume. Who doesn’t want an even bigger bowl of oatmeal? This girl does! 😀
- Zucchini. Again, you won’t taste them. They might add a slight texture to your oats depending on the size of your grater blade but there is no taste. Just pure nutrition points and, once again, volume.
I love’em and so I hope you do too!
Do you like working your arms?
Ever grated vegetables into your oatmeal? I have seen a lot of grated cauliflower floatin around on IG lately. If I didn’t have a slight gas..err…. digestive issue with too much cauli consumption I might have tried this.
Chocolate mint combo…Yay or Nay?
Oh and for the record for all my protein powder addicts…Cellucor is releasing three…yes THREE…new flavours in the up and coming months.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (already available to US friends only booo on Cellucor’s main webpage)
- White Chocolate Mocha
ERMMAGAWD cookie dough is my favourite! Can’t wait!!! That smores looks interesting too. Sigh…There goes more monnies as I won’t be able to resist.
Which new flavour appeals the most to you?