So I mentioned in my last post that I was planning on testing out another version of the chestnut flour muffins…
Nut butter..Of course.
So I baked up a batch last night and carted one around for my snack during my Personal Training staff training day today to sample. They were very good! Even more moist than my last batch! Moist…I know I know, so many people hate that word but hey, what other word should I use??
PLUS They are gluten free and dairy free for all us problematic tummy peoples.
So here ya go.
Stats: Cals: 115 Carbs: 14g Fat: 4g Protein: 7g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp chestnut flour
- 8 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten free), coarsely pulsed
- 1 scoop vanilla whey (I used Schinoussa New Zealand Probiotic Vanilla Silk)
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 4 Stevia packets
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (Natural Traditions, if you have it)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp natural almond butter (I used crunchy)
Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine all of your wet in a separate bowl, leaving the coconut oil for last as it will get chilled and re-solidify. Fold your liquid ingredients into your dry until combined. Spray 12 muffin tins and fill each about a 1/3 of the way up with batter. Add 1/2 a tsp of your almond butter to all 12 muffins then cover the rest of all of the muffins with your remaining batter. Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes, rotating about 1/2 way through, or until the tops are firm to the touch and the sides begin to pull away from the sides. Let cool, pop out of the tins and then enjoy.
Feel free to make these muffins your own too….
- Add pieces of nuts in the batter for some crunch (walnuts, almonds)
- Add a vanilla glaze on top for a cupcake like feel (Vanilla protein powder (casein or whey) + water/almond milk + optional sweetener= thick icing)
…just don’t forget to share your creations with me 😀