It’s time again for some nom creepin….my favourite past time. 😛 Thanks to Ms. Mama Pea over at Peas and Crayons for this foodie fun! OMG I have something amazing to tell you…it’s big…it’s awesome…it’s WHOLE FOODS! Yes, I finally go to experience this foodie heaven that I hear my fellow food bloggers swooning over and let me tell you I was most certainly not let down. My wallet thanks you all… 😉
So because this was so exciting, I wanted to share the 5 things that I picked up before I get to what I have been nomin on lately. I would like to say that I would have totally picked up more but I told myself I wouldn’t encapsulate the meme above. What’s another thing I told myself….
Be a good girl! This was soo much easier when I discovered they didn’t have pistachio. 😉 Anyyywho so what did I spend my dolla dollas on?
Item number 1 was Ezekiel 4:9 low sodium sprouted bread. This was one of the things that was on my list of things to get if they carried it. I have yet to find the low sodium version of this bread (the only bread I eat!) anywhere. And they had it! YAY 😀
Item numero deux was to make a nut butter from their “self-grind” station. I was suuuper excited to find that they had pistachio, but I was kind of disappointed that it had the same consistency that my own homemade version did….crumbly. Guess those lil green beauties just don’t have the same oils as peanuts do. Oh well, it smells amazing anyways. In fact, it kind it smells just like gelato. Must avoid smelling it every 5 minutes.
Item number 3 was yet another nut butter. This one is more for my boyfriend than me (I’m a peanut butter girl at heart), but it’s a brand that I can’t find in my stores back at home. Artisana nut butters are 100% raw nuts ONLY which is amazing! No salt, no sugar, no nothing. I decided to pick up one that Andre hasn’t tried yet which was the macadamia butter. I took a peak inside and gave it a quick sniff (yeah I do that) and I can already tell it’s a very rich and decadent one. Shouldn’t last long here 😉
Last but not least was my major find for the day and my next cheat meal…wait for it…
COOKIE DOUGH coconut ice-cream!!! ERMMAGOODDDD :-O You have no idea how excited I was to see this. I have been slightly obsessed with cookie dough-ness ever since trying the cookie dough questbar. You see I have never had cookie dough anything before….I know I know, but it wasn’t my fault, childhood milk allergy remember? Anyways I have wanted to put my box of quest bars to use and make my own cookie dough ice-cream but since an ice-cream maker has yet to randomly show up on my doorstep, this will have to suffice 😉
Speaking of ice-cream, one disappointment was this Whole Foods lack of Arctic Zero. I have heard mixed reviews on this ice cream but I tend to like those ‘healthy tasting’ things so I really wanted to try it. No such luck here. 😦 If you are unfamiliar with this brand, Arctic Zero makes an organic dairy and gluten-free ice-cream that has a base of whey protein (hello 15g or protein per pint!), contains very lil carbs, fat and calories per pint, no sugar alcohols and is low on the glycemic index. Due to this profile, many people have stated that this is a guilt free treat that you could have any time. Although I would still only enjoy something like this once and a while (still contains some sugar), it would be interesting to try.
So yes that was my first experience in a Whole Foods store and I had a blast! 😀 I’m officially a true food nerd.
Now on to my noms….
I wanted to share a few things that I have been lappin up this week instead of just one day cuz I’m a rule breaker. 😉 Lets start with breaky shall we.
Oatmeal, oatmeal and more oatmeal. I just love it. On both ends we have my pre-workout oatmeal creations, while in the middle we have a rest day variation (lower carbs and protein).
- The first was super simple. It was just my normal banana eggy proats topped with a tbsp of my homemade crunchy peanut butter and 1/2 a cinnamon Quest bar.
- For the middle, the peaches looked fab this week (hello local fruit!) so I decided to use that on my rest day. I also added 1 tsp of chia seeds to my base before refrigerating for the night. In the morning, after microwaving for the normal 2 minutes than adding the egg whites, I added 1/2 a medium peach that was warmed in the microwave and topped with 1/2 a tbsp of crunchy pb and a tsp of our new pistachio butta cuz I had to try it out :-D.
- The last picture was my pre-leg day proats which means they have MORE carbs and less fat (bye-bye pb..almost 😉 ) I decided this week to try something new and ‘sugar load’ before my workout. What I mean by this is that I went over my usual 7-9g of total sugar (all natural from fruit) in my breakfast and just didn’t have sweet potatoes that day. I did this through adding a tbsp of soaked raisins (plumps ’em up) to my eggy proats. With adding the raisins, I decided that apple pie oats were in order so after microwaving for the 2 minutes and stirring in the egg whites, I added 2 tbsp of unsweetened apple sauce rather than banana in the base about a 1/3-1/2 of a small organic apple that was heated in the microwave. I also added 1/2 a cinnamon quest bar, lil bit of sugar-free syrup and 1/2 a tbsp only (sadface) of my crunchy pb.
Other than oats, I also made this for today’s pre-workout:
Just to be a lil different, I made my normal egg white Ezekiel french toast topped with 1/2 a melted nanner, 1 tbsp of crunchy pb, cinnamon protein icing (1/3 scoop cellucor cinnamon swirl whey with about a tbsp or 2 of unsweetened almond milk) and sugar-free maple syrup. I have learned now that my tummy doesn’t like more than a quick drizzle of sugar-free syrup…makes me a lil burpy thanks to the artificial sweeteners. Oh well, lesson learned and this was super yummy 😀
***NOTE that I only have this syrup once and a while because I don’t like that it’s a lil on the chemically side. Sometimes a girl just wants syrup without the sugar spike mmmkayy***
I’m pretty sure you know what my post-workout lil muffin looks like by now so I decided to show you what I generally eat as my restday midmorning snackie
Okay so it doesn’t look that spectacular but hey it serves a purpose which is to keep me fueled and my metabolism buzzin. So this is just 1 whole egg, 1/2 a can of tuna, chopped spinach and whatever spices you like (I generally choose a Ms. Dash blend and chili flakes) all mixed together, thrown into a sprayed ramekin and baked (in my toaster oven…) at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Bam! Protein and healthy fats
Moving right along to lunch, which, once again I will contrast a rest day vs. training day
- A typical training day lunch consists of a protein (usually baked chicken breast), roasted green veggies and roasted sweet potato. That day I had baked turkey breast with my homemade fat-free basil pesto (I just blended 3 cloves of garlic with a huge bunch of fresh basil, some lemon juice and a lil water), broccoli and brussels and rosemary roasted Japanese purple skinned sweet potatoes. I have been lovin these sweet potatoes lately because not only are they lower in sugar than normal sweet potatoes, but they also have less beta-carotene which is good for lil miss orange tinge over here. :-D.
- The meal to the right was my lunch from yesterday (rest day) which I carted along with me to Toronto to see the boyfriend and go for a nice long bike ride along the Lakeshore. In my lil container was roasted brussels, carrots, kabucha, a few pieces of sweet potato (only thrown in because we were going to be fairly active), spinach and 4 ounces of baked spicy chicken breast. Food on the go can still be healthy and yummy!
Speaking of Toronto, check out the beautiful view as we came across the bridge along the Lake:
was my lil fish oil protein muffin. After our bike ride yesterday (around 3ish) I figured I should get in a lil bit of sugar/carbs with my muffin so I also noshed on a few green grapes and a small piece of apple. I was totally excited and even instagrammed that I was going to test out the Whole Foods salad and hot bars for dinner buuuuttt no cigar. 😦 I was super disappointed but I ended up taking an hour to bike back to Union Station (it was now a lil past 6pm) and when I checked my handy Google maps app, it was apparently another 45 minute trek to Whole Foods. At this point not only was I somewhat flustered due to getting slightly lost because of all of the construction going on around the go-station but I was past the point of HANGRY. Trust me, you don’t want to get in my way when I’m like this… 😉 Sooo whats Lil Miss Fitness Freak going to do?!? Off to the Eaton Center she goes! Good thing I always know how to get my lil hands on some healthy and yummy grubs 😀
I had my heart set on a customized salad and Fast Fresh Foods never fails to make amazing, healthy and HUGE salads right in front of you with all your favourite goodies. It got a wee bit expensive with me throwin in my premium toppings (sundried tomatoes and grilled portabello mushrooms) and my roasted white meat turkey breast chunks, but hey a girls needs her goodies and her protein! 😉 I do like that they give you a huge scoop of each topping you request, including the proteins. A huge pet peeve of mine is that when I get a salad with like 2 ounces of protein in it…umm helllooo I’m hungry here! 😉 Anyways, also in the bowl, which was bigger than my head, was their house mix (romaine, mixed greens and spinach), corn, cucumber, beets, carrots and a light balsamic vinaigrette. SOOO good! I tried really hard not to inhale the whole thing in less than 5 minutes.
Other dinners I consumed this week included:
Left: Sundays’ dinner consisted of a grassfed bison striploin steak I picked up from Cumbraes topped with my basil pesto, fresh kale sauteed in garlic, onions, a lil coconut oil, ACV, lil balsamic and beets and rosemary roasted kabucha. Yum!
Right: Monday night was my typical salad beast, as you have seen before, with all the fixins
Last but certainly not least…
Every night I always enjoy nomin on my ON chocolate supreme casein pudding with crunchy peanut butta
Thats all for me today, hope you enjoyed creepin 😉
Do you live near a Whole Foods? How much do you love it??
What are your favourite foodie finds?
We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. –Alfred E. Newman