So this is officially my first post and I’m super excited! 😀 I decided to take this space and truly introduce myself. If you read my ‘about’ page, than you know a lil bit about my interests, but life isn’t all about nutrition and fitness, even for lil miss fitness freak. Life is about balance amirite? So for this first entry on my brand spankin new blog I wanted to disclose a lil bit about my life in general. One thing though, I wanted it to be a little less write-y (re:boring and long) so to make this intro a lil more exciting, we are going to revisit our alphabet letters. Alrighty, shall we begin?
A….Allergies. I should have lived in a bubble as a child. To this day, I still feel bad for my parents for all of the allergies and other health problems I had as a kid. I swear I was a parents nightmare. Lets see, throughout my childhood I was allergic to dairy, fish, strawberries, kiwi, and eggs. My allergist also banned me from going near any nuts due to being at a very “high risk” of developing yet another allergy. On top of all of that:
- I’m asthmatic and had to be hooked up to a machine when I was younger 3-4 times a day (yeah trying telling a 4 year old to sit down for 30 mins with a mask plastered to their face…). Although asthma never fully leaves you, I rarely have to take puffers anymore, so I like to say its gone 😀
- I have a heart murmur. Luckily for me, after a few tests it was determined that my heart was just “musical” and therefore nothing to be overly concerned about.
- I was tested for epilepsy after experiencing frequent petite mal seizures. Interestingly enough, a cute and fuzzy came to my rescue. My doctor at the time told my parents to get a dog due to the belief that my seizures were the result of anxiety. Apparently he was on to something because after welcoming Lacey (you will read about her) I never had another seizure.
- I have always had stomach issues and have had numerous ultrasounds throughout my lifetime and finally was just diagnosed with IBS (tmi?) because the doctors didn’t know what was wrong.
- Lastly, I had to have tubes put in my ears due to experiencing never-ending ear infections.
So yeah, I was just your average picture perfect child…. 😛
B…..Bee Phobia. Every since I was little I have always been terrified of bees to the point where I will literally run in the opposite direction if one flies anywhere near me. It’s slightly embarrassing. Maybe it stems from the fact that I got stung while I was swinging upside down on a bar (the things kids do) which then led to me falling and landing on my head. Or maybe its because my mom is allergic (anaphylaxis) and thus I may also be allergic. Or perhaps its simply the fact that they STING you..with a needle…that freaks me out. I dunno, but what I do know is that everyone is better off if bees keep their distance from me.
C…Culinary Experimenteur. As I have mentioned, I love cooking and “healthifying” recipes. Messing around with recipes and manipulating ingredients is a lot of fun and a learning experience at that. I have had many successes, which I will post as recipes when I get the chance to write them up, but also some failures. Thankfully, my lovely boyfriend is always accepting of his role as official taste tester, and even when my experiments fail, he eats them anyways 😀 (maple syrup and peanut butter make everything better right?)
- Foods? Some of the things that I have to worst aversion too are raw fish and capers
- Pet Peeves? When someone interrupts me during a set at the gym, not holding doors for people, swearing excessively (there are other words in the English language, just sayin)
- Human Characteristics? Narcissism, cannot stand it
- Subjects? English, I was never good at it….hence why I went into science 😉
E…Empathetic. This would be one word my mom would use to describe me. I feel other people’s emotions as if they are my own.
F…Favourite Foods? Hmmm coming up with a short list is tricky, but there are a few standouts:
- Breakfast item: I love oatmeal and homemade protein pancakes
- Spread: Peanut butter for the win! (my homemade crunchy to be specific :-D)
- Condiment: Mustard is the only thing I use. Love that tang!
- Dessert: Gelato (read below)
- Fruit: Banana’s (ever tried them frozen? To die for!)
- Veggie: I’m a veggie-aholic, but if I had to choose one I would say sweet taters
- Protein: Do quest bars count? lol Kidding…not really 😛 Toughie, but I’m going with scallops
G… Gelato. It’s that guilty pleasure that I could probably eat my weight in, which is why my boyfriend likes to call me the “gelato walrus.” I was introduced to it a few years ago during the Caribana festivities in Toronto and it was love at first bite. Although my insta-love happened to be with the basic lemon flavour, pistachio has by far won my heart and never fails to make an appearance in my cup, unless they run out :-O. In such unfortunate events, I tend to leave empty handed as the gelato experience is just not right without some pistachio goodness.
H…Healthful. My ultimate goal is to be as healthy as I can be as I believe it’s important to appreciate your body for what it does for you every day. To do this, I try to eat as clean as possible, which, to me means that I make almost 100% of my food so that it will contain only fresh and wholesome ingredients that will fuel my body rather than bringing it down. I am also a believer in the use of supplements, not as a replacement for food, but as an accessory. I take fish oils, calcium supplements and a new-to-me product, spirulina, every single day. In addition to nutrition, exercise is a major component of my life for both physical and mental well being. I love being active and would always prefer an activity that involves moving my body over one that keeps me stationary.
I…Introverted. I am not really the type of person to make my feelings known. Any negative emotions or conflicts tend to be channeled inwards, which allows for them to sit there and fester. This is one of those things that I know I have to work on as there is only so much that a person can deal with internally before those emotions have to be vented.
J…July. My birthday month! July 3rd to be exact. I’m a total summer baby, that heat, those tans, swimming, cold treats, BBQs, beaches, etc, etc I love it all!
K…Karate. As a kid I bounced from sport to sport. I tried dance, gymnastics, swimming, tennis, and even kickboxing, but the one I stuck to the longest was Tae Kwon Doe. Surprising? I am in no way an aggressive person, but I trained for about 7-8 years and was one belt short of a black belt. Why quit when you were so close you ask? Well, there were a couple of things. One, I really hated sparring (again I’m not aggressive) but I put up with doing it once a week. Two, they wanted me to do ground fighting in a class with a male to female ratio of like 20:1…umm no thanks. So then I stopped. It was a good bout though. I did a few things that I didn’t think I could ever do, like breaking a few boards, and I even won a few shiny trophies from our competitions.
L… Lacey. She’s my own lil cute and fuzzy. She’s a toy poodle who is in her senior years now (she’s 14!) but still a puppy in my eyes. Unfortunately, I don’t get to see her as much as I would like as she stays with my parents in a different city, but I love her to death.
M…Mudder. Last summer (2012) I had the amazing opportunity to do Tough Mudder, which is an 8 mile obstacle course designed by the British Special Forces that tests your strength, endurance and your ability to cooperate as a team. My team of four consisted of myself, my boyfriend and one of our couple friends and we had a blast crawling through the mud, getting shocked, leaping across trenches and then hitting up the nearby Mandarin while rocking our orange Tough Mudder sweatbands ;-).
N…Nicknames. My boyfriend has many for me, with hamster being frequently used. Chels isn’t really used that much, probably because it sounds weird. As for my parents, Chess, Chessica, lil Chess, and bun (like Chelsea buns) are all common.
O…Obsessive Compulsive. I feel like everyone has their obsessive tendencies from time to time, but perhaps some habits are more annoying than others. Off the top of my head I can name off a few things that I do that I’m sure can be extremely annoying (just ask my boyfriend). Please say that somebody can relate to these so I don’t feel like I’m completely crazy. Pweety pweeze.
- I’m a wee bit of a control freak in the kitchen. My boyfriend would say that’s an understatement as he’s afraid to put anything away in our kitchen because he knows that I will then have to go and put it in its ‘right’ place. Also, for some reason I cannot be in the kitchen with another person and not watch what they are doing and whether or not they are making a mess…yeah I’m one of those people. What can I say…I’m workin on it.
- I am very routine oriented (another control freak tendency). I set a schedule and I stick to it. Unfortunately, this means I’m allergic to anything to do with spontaneity and, well, that’s a problem. Again, I’m workin on it.
- I’m a perfectionist with many things. Things have to go in their ‘proper’ places and if they are moved I get ansy if I can’t put them back. When it comes to cooking, I get mad when dishes don’t turn out like I wanted them to or if they are good, than I can always pick out something that’s just not right with them. In school, I always wanted to get the best grades and would stress myself out completely when trying to achieve them. The only place where my perfectionism has perhaps benefited me was in art. I used to draw a lot during my school years and I even won an award for one of my pieces.
P…Protein Powder. I’m kind of an addict. The amount of money I have spent on protein powders is crazy! I have a hard time saying no to a cool new flavour (recent spontaneous buy was cellucor peanut butter marshmellow and cinnamon swirl online…. :-S) and my wallet doesn’t appreciate it. At the moment, my collection includes a few essentials that I use almost every day, including my chocolate sunwarrior (raw blend), Vanilla New Zealand Probiotic Whey (from fortinos!) and Chocolate Supreme Optimum Nutrition Casein. I also have a few non-essentials that have made there way into my kitchen including those two new cellucor protein flavours, various peanut butter chocolate flavours and a few sample packages here and there. So since my cupboards (re:counter) and my bank account are getting overwhelmed, I have banned myself from buying any more…although I still parooz the goods when I see’em so we shall see how long that lasts ;-). Oh and in this ban, Quest bars don’t count! 😀
Q…Quirks. Hmm I would say that a few of my quirks would include:
- thoroughly enjoying grocery shopping. In fact, my boyfriend and I frequent fortinos often as a lil afternoon date 😀
- I have to have my food just so. If I’m taking the time to make something for myself I’m not one to skimp or I will just be left unsatisfied.
- I wake up ridiculously early for a 21 year old, even on weekends. Hello 6AM.
R…Reality Shows. My boyfriend makes fun of me for this, but I love watching these things even if some of them are slightly embarrassing to mention. MTV and Slice are my go to online video channels for that very reason. That said, I do enjoy a good drama series as well. Currently Greys Anatomy and Vampire Diaries are on my list of favs.
S…Scar. I have a scar right beside my right eye from walking into the back of my dad’s car when I was younger (It came out of nowhere ok 😛 ). Thankfully it missed my eye, but but my poor father is probably scarred for life after the screaming and crying (not to mention nurses having to pin me down) that accompanied the process of stitching me back up.
T…Trainer. I’m super excited to be working as a personal trainer at my school gym in the fall! It has always been something I have wanted to do, but I just never got around to getting my certification. Smallest PT around? I think so 😉
U…Ultimate Vacation? That would have to be Hawaii. Once I get over the insanely long plane ride, it would be amazing. Surfing, climbing volcanoes, trying their food, snorkeling and whatever else these beautiful islands have to offer, I want to do it all!
V…Volunteer. I currently volunteer at the McMaster Children’s Hospital in the Emergency Room. Although I am limited to the jobs I can do, making a child smile by bringing them a toy always brings me great joy.
W…Wooed. I cannot do a post about my life without mentioning my amazing boyfriend. I have known him for 4 whole years now and ever since he caught my eye at the gym, he has never left my mind or my heart (insert daaaawww). He’s my best friend, gives the best snuggles, always makes me laugh and just makes me happy.
X…Xtremely smiley. Aha the X does not defeat this lil one. I’m always smiling. It truly does energize you and it is contagious to boot! Make someones day a littler brighter by giving them a lil old smile. 😀
Y…Yoga. I really love yoga and how relaxed it makes me feel. I’m so glad that I have had the chance to start to get back into it and that I can share the experience with my boyfriend too!
Z…Zippy. I always like to be moving around. Some might call me hyperactive, but I see it as my mind always needing stimulation, and thus I’m always up for learning and trying something new.
Wow that was longer and more difficult (whose idea was it to do the alphabet anyways? :-P) than I expected. Hopefully I didn’t loose you, but now you know some interesting tidbits about lil miss fitness freak 🙂 Now its your turn…
What word would you use to describe yourself using ‘U’
What are your favourite foods? Can you narrow them down to your Top 3?
Here’s a quick lil quote for ya:
A healthy attitude is contagious but don’t wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier. –Tom Stoppard
Enjoy your day!